Award Winning Documentary by PJ Raval to Screen for Free
This short documentary film captures the transformation of a young woman to the leadership of America’s most inspired anti-gun violence movement called #CocksNotGlocks. After concealed carry of handguns is legalized on the University of Texas campus, Jessica Jin posts clever humor on social media, and with the help of a tight-knit group of young female students, a movement is born: The Great Texas Dildo Revolt.
Starting next week, Jessica Jin will lead “Days Of Action”: a series of events promoting political participation during these crucial days leading up to the election. Each event will begin with a free screening of our 2017-18 Giard Fellow P.J. Raval’s documentary Come & Take It. The award-winning documentary film, directed by Raval & Ellen Spiro, captures Jessica Jin’s transformation into leadership and political action. See trailer below.
The first of the “Days Of Action,” hosted by Austin Asian American Film Festival, begins on Wednesday September 30th at 4:30pm PST, 6:30pm CT, 7:30pm EST. Join Jessica Jin, filmmakers PJ Raval and Ellen Spiro, and Amber Goodwin of Community Justice Action Fund, for a screening and panel discussion of Come & Take It. Willing participants must register in order to stream and take part in the discussion. To register, click here and scroll to AAAFF/e/CATI.
Come & Take It has garnered critical attention in film festivals around the world:
- World Premiere SXSW Film Festival 2018
- AUDIENCE AWARD BEST SHORT DOCUMENTARY New Orleans Film Festival 2018
- AUDIENCE CHOICE AWARD BEST SHORT DOCUMENTARY Sidewalk Film Festival 2018
- BEST SHORT DOCUMENTARY Houston Asian American Pacific Islander Film Festival 2019
- Social Impact Media Awards Short Doc Finalist 2019
- International Premiere Manchester International Film Festival